Steps to a DIY Manicure and Pedicure
There is no reason for you to spend time and money at a nail bar, when with a little practice, you can maintain your hands and feet in tip top condition. Just follow these simple DIY manicure and pedicure tricks.
What do you need?
- A nail brush which is used to clean the nails.
- Nail clipper for toe nails.
- Nail scissor for finger nails.
- Embery board or nail file.
- Cuticle remover, this is a cream that is applied to the nail bed. It is used to soften the dead skin on the nail for removal.
- Cuticle nippers.
- An orange stick used to push the cuticles back.
- Nail Buffer.
- Hand and foot cream.
- Hand and foot soak.
- Cuticle oil.
- Acetone free nail polish remover.
- Base and top coat.
- Remove old nail polish from the nails.
- Use the hand and foot soak to soak the area you are working. Leave in for ten minutes.
- Use the nail brush to gently brush over the nails.
- Wipe dry.
- Apply cuticle remover to the nail, using the orange stick, gently push the cuticles back.
- Use the cuticle trimmer to trim the cuticles.
- Use the nail clippers to trim nails as required, once trimmed, use the nail file to file the nail to desired length and shape. Remember to always file in one direction only.
- Gently buff the nails.
- At this point you may apply cuticle cream.
Application of nail polish
- Use nail polish remover on a cotton pad and clean the nail to ensure the removal of all traces of oil.
- Apply base coat, but be careful not to get any on the cuticles.
- Starting a little away from the cuticle, apply your first coat of nail polish.
- Make one stroke down the centre, then fill in the strips on either side. Once all the nails have been painted, you are ready to apply a second coat. Do this in the same manner as before.
- You are now ready to apply the top coat.
Sometimes, it can be difficult painting your own nails, however mistakes can be easily rectified. Simply dip a cotton bud in nail polish remover and clean out.
Once the nails are dry, apply your cuticle oil and moisturiser, and don’t forget to keep a tube in your bag.