Living in a world that judges you according to your relationship status can be daunting. For some strange and weird reason being “taken” means that you are some how more stable and wanted. I have been single for a while now, and I must admit that in the beginning, I did feel societies pressures into trying to coax me into a relationship, and yes there were days when all I needed was a hug or an ear to listen, however I soon figured out that a glass of my favorite wine was an excellent substitute.
With all honesty, it is human nature to want what we don’t have, however if you look around you, how many couples do you know that are truly happy? There are people stuck in loveless relationships for all the wrong reasons, trying desperately to hold on to something that brings absolutely no joy into their lives.
Yes, it is an incredible feeling to be feel loved and wanted, and I will without a doubt be first in line to get a dose of that, but in the mean time, I don’t believe that we need to wallow in sadness because we are without a significant other. Instead we should use our energy to uplift our selves.
So, lets stop looking at the glass half empty but rather that it is half full, and let us rejoice and find comfort in our singledom. Here are my reasons why you should love been single.
- Use this time to find out who you are and what you are about? If you are comfortable with yourself, and if you find peace within, you will never settle for anyone. By truly coming to terms with yourself, you will find that even when you do enter into a relationship, the little things will not bother you. Your relationship will become more fulfilling and on the other side of the coin, if it is not, you will exit without feeling like your life is falling apart because you now know your self worth.
- Learn to enjoy your own company, imagine getting home after a long day at the office, pouring a glass of wine, soaking into a nice long bubble bath and letting go of the days stress, now if you were in a relationship, this will be close to impossible. You will need to “consider” the other person, chances are you will have to cook, try and neaten up and then still talk to him.
- You don’t ever have to deal with his people, family or friends. You don’t have to pretend you enjoy their company or put up with their naughty kids who insist on jumping on your white couch with their filthy feet….No mam… not you.
- How many times have you gotten into a relationship and your friends complain that they haven’t seen you, or you try and grab a quick lunch with them during the week because he is taking you to his friends sister’s childs’s third birthday party over the weekend. Being single means that you have the freedom to hang out with your girlfriends and if you so wish, watch girly movies all weekend in your pj’s.
- Being single means that you don’t have to spend your money, time and effort trying to think about the best presents to buy him. You also don’t have to pretend that the gift he gave you is what you have wanted for months but all you want to do is put is right at the back of the cupboard because you know you cant return it.
- What I love about being single is that you can travel, where ever your heart desires, without having to consider whether the other person will enjoy the place. Travelling allows you to grow up, experience and see the world with different eyes.
- And oh, my favorite, I can literally sleep in the middle of my bed, star fish, yes star fish, and hog the covers all night long.
You may think that my view on this topic is a bit selfish, yes it is. Being single is not a disease that you need to seek to cure immediately. By all means, it’s a blessing. It’s a chance for you to love you, because no one will ever love you as much as you can love yourself, except God. So seek your fulfillment in him.
Now wear the badge proudly…. I AM SINGLE AND I AM HAPPY !